Dear Monument Academy Families,
We were notified this afternoon of a positive case of COVID-19 at our East campus. This individual presented with symptoms on October 30th and is now quarantining at home. We are collaborating with El Paso County Public Health (EPCPH) and have been in counsel with the District, our school board, and Monument Academy’s COVID Response Team. We have already notified those families via email whose students need to quarantine based on possible exposure.
It is our commitment to deliver the best and safest program we can offer. Unfortunately, we have six teachers at the East campus who are contact exposures and are required to quarantine for 14 days. The short notice will not allow us to staff properly with substitute teachers. Therefore, Monument Academy’s East campus will be closed tomorrow, Wednesday, November 4th, and Thursday, November 5th. There will be no assignments given to students. Our parent/teacher conferences via Zoom will be held as scheduled on Thursday and Friday.
We look forward to resuming in-person learning on Monday, November 9th.
If you have students at the West campus, they can continue to attend school as normal, unless their East campus sibling is on quarantine status and experiencing symptoms.
We’ve included some helpful information from EPCPH below:
General Isolation and Quarantine Guidelines:
- Confirmed or probable cases need to isolate until all three criteria have been met:
- 10 days have passed from the symptom onset date (or date of positive test if asymptomatic or symptom onset date is unknown)
- AND fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medicine
- AND improvement in symptoms
- Exposed individuals should complete the full 14-day quarantine period starting from the last day of exposure to the confirmed or probable case, regardless of negative testing results.
- If the exposed individual cannot isolate themselves from the confirmed or probable case (e.g. household members), then the last day of exposure starts on the day the confirmed or probable case is no longer infectious (a minimum of 10 days). This could mean an exposed individual could potentially be quarantined for a minimum of 24 days (if the confirmed or probable case does not follow strict isolation guidelines).
- If exposed individuals developed symptoms during the quarantine period, they would then follow the isolation guidelines.
- The following website helps calculate the beginning and end of isolation/quarantine: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html
Available Testing Sites for Staff/Students:
We will continue to apprise you with any updated information. Thank you for your patience, understanding, and trust during these trying times. We greatly appreciate our community, and will continue to work together with our shared commitment to our children, each other, and to providing the best learning environment possible.
Chief Operating Officer