The MA Board of Directors wanted to provide all shareholders with a Monument Academy High School (MAHS) update.
We are proud to share that a lot of positive activity surrounding the new Monument Academy High School (MAHS) has taken place over the past several months. Here are a few highlights of the Board and Administration efforts:
Monument Academy High School (MAHS) – December 2018 Update
There are two signs announcing the location of the new Monument Academy High School (MAHS). Late last week, developers Matt and Bill Dunston announced they will be donating land on the corner of Highways 83 and 105 which will the location of the new campus.
As you may recall, the MAHS application was approved in November 2017 and our 10-year contract with Lewis Palmer School District 38 to include MAHS was approved in March 2018. We have selected CRP Architects and JHL Contractors last summer and now with land, we will have a formal ground breaking in the spring of 2019.
Our plans include the building of an 80,000 square foot facility to include significant space for the Tri-Lakes YMCA. This unique partnership will enable both MA and the Y to expand their usable space in the near future.
Matt Dunston pointed in his announcement concerning the land donation, “Monument Academy is a unique local asset and we wanted to provide a place for it to grow. The school and YMCA is an ideal blend that will be a tremendous benefit to the entire Tri-Lakes community.”
Classes are set to begin in August 2020 and will be home to nearly 500 high school students in grades 9 – 12 and 350 middle school students in grades 6 – 8.
Monument Academy High School (MAHS) – August 2018 Update
- MAHS application is approved in November 2017, a mere 49 days after it submission.
- MA signs a new contract with Lewis Palmer School District 38 to include MAHS in March 15, 2018. The new contract extended our 10-year contract by 2 years and included Monument Academy’s share of the 1999 MLO monies.
- Inline Management was chosen as MA’s Owner’s Representative in June 2018 to provide all coordination of the development of MAHS. Inline Management has extensive experience building charter schools.
- CRP Architects, PC. were chosen to provide Architectural design, Structural Engineering for the building; Mechanical and Plumbing Engineering for building systems; Electrical Engineering for building power and lighting systems including conduit pathways for low voltage systems; Civil Engineering for all on site improvements. CRP’s Brian Risley was appointment as Monument Academy’s architect of record. CRP and Mr. Risley have built a very impressive reputation for their work with charter schools in Colorado.
- General Contractor RFP process began in June 2018. Monument Academy thru our Builder’s Representative, Kurt Connelly, requested a proposal to provide Pre-construction consulting and Construction Manager/General Contractor services for constructing our new high school facility. A total of seven firms were pre-qualified and invited to respond. All submittals are due Friday August 3 at 12:00 Noon. The submittals will be reviewed, and firms will be selected for personal interviews.
- El Paso County Planning Commission Meeting – On July 18th , an early assistance meeting took place with County Planning staff to discuss the land use review process associated with the school site and surrounding developments. The meeting produced some very positive next steps.
- Land – The final steps of acquiring land at Highway 83 and Highway 105 have taken place. Hopefully, this acquisition will be completed in the next 30 days.
- Financing – MA’s Bond Counsel has identified the sources of funding for construction and long-term financing for the new facility.